Visa for International Students

For information on whether you require a visa or not and what your next steps are, please visit the website of the University of St.Gallen. Additionally, we would like to refer you to the State Secretariat for Migration (SEM) as well as the Federal Department of Foreign Affairs (FDFA).

Application for Residence Permit at Town Hall

Regardless of whether you need a visa or not, everyone who takes up residence in St.Gallen is required to register at Town Hall within 14 days. When moving away from St.Gallen you also have to inform Town Hall. 

Health Insurance for International Students

  • Information on the website of the University of St.Gallen (see additional information)
  • Further helpful information and the possibility to compare health insurance on

Bank Account

The banks listed below all offer free bank accounts for students. To learn more about the requirements and benefits, please visit the respective websites. Keep in mind that UBS has a branch (incl. an ATM) at the University of St.Gallen in the library building.


Mobile Phone Plans

If you are considering a Swiss mobile phone plan or a prepaid card, the following websites might be helpful to compare different offers and to find the best option for you. 

It might be cheaper to get a foreign mobile phone plan (with a country option for Switzerland). However, residence in that country may be required.


Working for International Students

The HSG Career Services for international students office will help you with your questions about working in Switzerland.